At Wyndham San José Herradura Hotel and Convention Center, we take environmental responsibility seriously. Since our opening, Wyndham staff has worked tirelessly to help preserve our region’s natural environment. This includes everything from minimizing electricity use and maximizing recycling to collecting used cooking oil for the production of biodiesel.
Our hotel is proof that five-star comfort and environmental sustainability can work perfectly together.
Take a look at our eco-friendly initiatives to see what makes Wyndham San Jose Herradura one of the greenest hotels in Costa Rica.
- We give our guests the chance to change sheets and towels every other day to save water and electricity.
- We use biodegradable products to clean our rooms.
- If allowed by our occupancy, full areas or floors are blocked off to save energy and TVs, air-conditioners and hallway lights are turned off.
Kitchens & Restaurants
- All organic waste is collected in the kitchens and used to feed pigs from a nearby farm.
- Used kitchen oil is used to produce biodiesel.
- Food is bought in large packages, and sodas and beers are bottled so we can return them to the supplier for recycling.
- Compostable African palm packaging is used for take-out containers.
- Organic products are used to prepare foods.
- Biodegradable products are used for cleaning and sanitation purposes.
Maintenance & Gardens
- We have a water- and energy-saving program for the entire hotel.
- We have a wastewater treatment plant.
- We use fluorescent and LED lighting.
- We do not use fertilizers in our gardens; we produce organic compost with the kitchen fruit waste and make our own pesticide from garlic, onion and pepper.
- We have native species from the region and an organic vegetable garden for different kitchen products.
Laundry & Cleaning
- All garbage is classified in the respective containers.
- We use biodegradable products.
- We replace chloride with ozone injection procedures.
- We reuse all paper and also use recycled paper.
- We maximize natural light and implement water and electricity saving programs.
We have our own waste collection center where we sort solid waste produced by our hotel.
Orchid Nursery and Organic Vegetable Garden
The hotel is proud of its collection of orchids that are displayed across the hotel. If you are interested in this topic, we invite you to visit our orchid nursery located at the end of the water-cascade swimming pool (behind rooms 5500s), open from 6:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Moreover, you can coordinate with the front desk for a visit to our ornamental plant nursery and our vegetable garden, both 100% organic.
- We support the PANIAMOR Foundation by raising and donating $1 per night per sold room.
- We provide space, logistics and food for free to the planning processes of the Municipality of Belén.
- We offer 30 spots per quarter to students from technical schools, INA and universities so that they can do their internship at the hotel by providing free food and the possibility of being hired at the end of the internship based on their performance.
- We organize painting exhibitions with different national artists who display their paintings across the hotel, with the possibility of selling them to guests.
- We belong to local associations, such as AMUBI (Association of Belen Women), and contribute to projects of the neighboring communities (La Asunción de Belén and Cariari).